Best Toothbrush For Braces: A Comprehensive Guide to Keep Your Teeth and Braces Spotless
Are you new to braces? Then investing in the best toothbrush for braces is a must. Do you know that an average person leaves 35-40% of their teeth surface while brushing? Now imagine the end results if you do the same when wearing braces.
Remember that braces create more areas for food particles and plaque to accumulate. When left uncleaned, this buildup can lead to tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, and even discoloration of teeth.
In fact, a bad toothbrush will ruin the teeth’s shape and lead to much damage. They can loosen or bend wires and brackets. Moreover, hard bristles often leave cuts and sores in the mouth.
This calls for choosing a good toothbrush that aligns with orthodontic appliances. This blog will walk you through everything you need to know about toothbrushes for braces. But first, let’s learn why you need a good toothbrush for braces. Time to dig in.
- 2 Why Do You Need to Ensure You Pick The Best Toothbrush For Braces?
- 3 Features of the best toothbrush for braces
- 4 Types Of Toothbrush For Braces
- 5 Manual Or Orthodontic Toothbrushes For Braces
- 6 Best Manual Toothbrushes For Braces
- 7 Electric Toothbrushes For Braces
- 8 Best Electric Toothbrushes For Braces
- 9 How To Brush Properly With Braces?
- 10 Takeaway: What Is The Best Toothbrush For Braces?
Why Do You Need to Ensure You Pick The Best Toothbrush For Braces?
You need to ensure you pick the best toothbrush for braces for numerous reasons. For starters, here are some:
- Protects brackets and wires. It ensures braces stay in shape and do not prolong the treatment time.
- Ensures gentle and efficient cleaning. A good brace toothbrush protects your mouth from decay, gum disease, and bad breath.
- Prevents irritation of gums and cheeks by not giving any cuts or sores.
- Gives healthy oral hygiene and prevents complications.
Features of the best toothbrush for braces
These are the few features of the best toothbrush for braces you must look out for.
- V-shaped bristles: This type of bristle will help clean around braces. It reaches between wires and brackets to remove plaque and food particles.
- Shorter and longer bristles: The shorter bristles help to clean around brackets. On the other hand, the longer bristles reach between teeth and into crevices to remove debris.
- Soft bristles: Braces toothbrushes must have soft bristles to:
– prevent damage to the brackets and wires
– avoid irritation of the gums.
- Angled head: This gives better access to hard-to-reach areas, like back molars.
- Narrow head: The narrow head allows the brush to fit in the mouth, even with braces.
- Rubberized grip: The toothbrush is easier to hold when working around braces.
Types Of Toothbrush For Braces
There are two types of toothbrushes for braces recommended for braces.
Orthodontic or manual toothbrushes: These toothbrushes have V-shaped bristles. It cleans around braces and other orthodontic appliances.
Electric and sonic toothbrushes: Some electric toothbrushes come with special orthodontic brush heads. They help clean around braces more effectively than traditional brush heads.
On the other hand, sonic toothbrushes use high-frequency vibrations to clean braces. They are more effective than traditional toothbrushes.
Manual Or Orthodontic Toothbrushes For Braces
A manual or orthodontic toothbrush for braces makes it easier to clean around brackets and wires without causing damage to the hardware.
One of the prime features of a manual toothbrush for braces is V-shaped bristles. They reach between brackets and wires to remove plaque and food particles. Some manual toothbrushes for braces also have shorter, longer, and softer bristles. They clean around brackets and between teeth and are gentle on the gums.
Pros and cons of manual toothbrush for braces
Manual toothbrushes for braces are usually less expensive than electric toothbrushes. This makes them a more affordable option for people on a budget. Secondly, Manual toothbrushes are easy to use and need no batteries or charging.
However, it comes with two major disadvantages over electric toothbrushes.
- Manual toothbrushes may not be as efficient as electric ones in removing plaque and debris from hard-to-reach areas.
- The bristles on a manual toothbrush may wear out more quickly than those on an electric one.
Best Manual Toothbrushes For Braces
Here are the five best manual toothbrushes for braces.
- Y-Kelin V-Shaped Orthodontic Toothbrush
This manual toothbrush has 45-degree nylon bristles in a V-shape. It can reach all areas of your mouth and effectively clean your teeth. The toothbrush is also flexible and ergonomic and has a small handle with a great grip for easy use.
- Colgate Max Fresh Wisp Disposable Toothbrushes
This set of 24 bite-sized toothbrushes is perfect for maintaining dental hygiene on the go. With a built-in freshening bead that dissolves during use, you won’t need to rinse with water. The soft bristles gently remove particles around braces, leaving a refreshing aftertaste and minty breath.
- Ortho-Buddy Orthodontic Toothbrush
This one helps you maintain top-notch oral hygiene with braces. The 360-degree bristles clean your teeth, gums, and braces in different directions. It ensures a thorough cleanse in just thirty seconds.
- DenTrust Three-Sided Braces Toothbrush
This unique toothbrush provides a professional cleaning experience that’s both effective and efficient. Its three-sided bristle technology allows for fast and thorough cleaning of all sides of your mouth, including hard-to-reach areas.
- Oral-B Ortho Toothbrush Set
Oral-B’s orthodontic toothbrush effortlessly fights plaque and odor. Its soft bristles and long, narrow neck provide flexibility and easy access to every corner of your mouth. Lightweight and comfortable to hold, this toothbrush is perfect for daily use.
Electric Toothbrushes For Braces
An electric toothbrush for braces uses oscillating or vibrating bristles to clean teeth, brackets, and wires. It has a smaller brush head that can reach tight spaces around the braces. It may also come with specialized brush heads for orthodontic treatment. An electric toothbrush makes it easier to maintain proper oral hygiene. It reduces the risk of tooth decay and prevents gum disease.
Pros and cons of electric toothbrushes for braces
Electric toothbrushes for braces come with myriad benefits. To begin with, they have a rotating or vibrating brush head that can effectively remove plaque from braces. Electric toothbrushes can clean teeth faster and more thoroughly than manual toothbrushes. Third, they are gentle on brackets and wires, reducing the risk of damage to orthodontic appliances.
However, these brushes are generally more expensive than manual toothbrushes. They may also need replacement brush heads. Moreover, electric toothbrushes may require more maintenance, like charging the battery and replacing brush heads.
Best Electric Toothbrushes For Braces
Here are the five best electric toothbrushes for braces.
- Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 Electric Toothbrush
It has dense, high-quality bristles and a curved power tip to reach hard-to-access areas and provide a thorough cleaning. The sonic technology
– provides a safe and gentle experience
– improves gum health without putting too much pressure on brackets.
- Anwiel Water Flosser + Ultrasonic Electric Toothbrush Combo
This electric toothbrush and flosser combination have a thick handle and small head, reaching all corners of your mouth. It offers six adjustable modes for removing 99% of plaque. It is suitable for beginners and those with sensitive teeth.
- Alayna Ortho And Power Tip Brush Heads
This electric brush provides safe and powerful precision cleaning around orthodontic appliances. It:
– targets bridges
– crowns and implants
– improves accessibility
– offers deep and thorough cleanse every time.
It is also an excellent starter kit for those with braces, recommended by top hygienists.
- Generic Cordless Water Flosser And Sonic Electric Toothbrush
This sleek and compact flosser-brush combo provides a complete dental experience in one package. The cordless water flosser comes with eight jet tips. Interestingly, the toothbrush has the following:
– eight replacement brush heads
– offers three cleaning modes with a powerful 40000 VPM.
You can adjust the rechargeable flosser to fit your needs best.
- Pro-Sys VarioSonic Orthodontic Toothbrush
The Pro-Sys electric toothbrush eliminates stubborn plaque and debris. It is rechargeable, durable, and compact, making it convenient for use even on the go. It offers
– five power cleaning modes
– ultra-soft bristles
This helps ensure clinical-level hygiene without putting too much pressure on the brackets.
How To Brush Properly With Braces?
Maintaining oral hygiene while wearing braces can be challenging. But with these tips, it’s easier than you think.
– Brush your teeth after every meal.
– Rinse your mouth to remove any debris
– Use a gentle toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste.
– Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle.
– Apply minimal pressure to rotate it along your gum line.
– Ensure to brush the brackets, wires, and inner surfaces.
– Finish off with floss and mouthwash rinse at least once a day.
Pro tricks for brushing with braces
Adjusting to braces requires changes in your brushing routine. Here are some pro-tricks to keep in mind for safe teeth care:
- Choose a soft-bristled toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash. Take into account the size of your brackets.
- Brush twice daily and floss once for proper hygiene.
- Before brushing, rinse your mouth to remove any food residue or debris between brackets.
Takeaway: What Is The Best Toothbrush For Braces?
Hope this blog helps you understand
- How to ensure you choose the best toothbrush for your braces
- Types of toothbrushes for braces
- Best manual toothbrush for braces
- Best electric toothbrush for braces
- Some tips and tricks for brushing with braces
However, this raises one question: what is the best toothbrush for braces? Both types can be effective in cleaning teeth. However, electric toothbrushes are more efficient at removing plaque from challenging-to-reach areas.
Electric toothbrushes often include timers, which can be particularly beneficial for children. Speaking of people with braces, they must brush for at least 2 minutes or longer.
The best toothbrush for braces will depend on your needs. Consult your orthodontist to determine the most appropriate toothbrush for your braces.
Best Toothbrush For Braces
Dr. Bill Redmond is a native of Southern California, the son of an orthodontist and the husband of a general dentist. That makes family gatherings pretty interesting…if you like teeth!